Kansas law requires that a motor vehicle must be titled in the state and county where the vehicle is garaged. Motor vehicles cannot be legally operated without a title.

New Vehicles

To title a motor vehicle you must visit either the Mission or Olathe motor vehicle office. You cannot register, renew or title your vehicle at the Treasurer’s office located in the County Administration Building in Olathe.

To title a new motor vehicle you need the following information:

Used Vehicles

To title a used motor vehicle you need the following information:

Ownership Document

Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO) or


Sales Tax Reciept

If vehicle is purchased from a registered Kansas Dealer sales tax should be collected by the Dealer. The Dealer will provide the proof of paid sales tax reciept to the owner. If the vehicle is purchased from a non Dealer or an out of state Dealer this document will not be required and sales tax will be collected at the time of registration.

Valid Proof of Insurance

Kansas law requires that each motor vehicle carry a valid insurance card from a Kansas agent with the following elements as proof of insurance; name of insurer, name of insured party, policy number, effective date, expiration date, to include current date, vehicle description and vehicle identification number or VIN.

Kansas law requires that you carry “Kansas no-fault liability insurance” on any vehicle except a motorized bicycle so that, in case of an accident, the other vehicle and its passengers are protected.

Bill of Sale

If the motor vehicle is purchased new, the receipt must come from a Kansas Auto dealer. If the vehicle is purchased from an auto dealer outside Kansas, a bill of sale for sales tax purposes is needed. Sales tax rates are available from the Kansas Department of Revenue.

Vehicle Inspection Information

Kansas law requires the Kansas Highway Patrol to inspect vehicles that were previously titled in another state to verify the identification number or VIN number on the vehicle is genuine and agrees with the VIN on the out-of-state title. The inspection is required prior to the owner applying for an original Kansas title.

Vehicles that have been issued a Kansas non-highway title or Kansas salvage title, as well as vehicles that have been assembled or are homemade, are also required to be inspected. The inspection may required additional documentation regarding the history of the various parts used in the assembly and/or repair of the vehicle.

For more information, location times or additional inspection locations visit www.KansasHighwayPatrol.org.

The following items must be presented to complete the inspection:

  • Vehicle, Title and/or supporting documents (salvage, owner retain salvage, assembled vehicles)
  • Valid Driver’s License for person presenting vehicle for inspection
  • Inspection Fee (Payable by cash (preferred), check, Visa or MasterCard)
    • $20 for regular MVE-1 inspection
    • $25 for salvage/prior or rebuilt salvage


Vehicle Inspection Locations and Phone Numbers

Kansas City Office..........913-334-9604

7330 I-70, Exit 415, Kansas City, KS 66112

Lamar Office..........913-677-5276

3101 S. 24th Street, Kansas City, KS 66106

Olathe Office..........913-780-6058

395 E. Dennis, Olathe, KS 66061


When titling and registering, you may pay a registration fee and sales tax on a new or used vehicle, along with personal property taxes.

You may pay your tag registration using cash, check (with valid driver's license and daytime phone number), money order, cashier's check, or credit/debit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover). There will be a convenience fee charged by the payment processor for using a credit or debit card. Please visit our Frequent Questions section for current convenience fee rates

If you are registering more than one vehicle, you may combine to make one payment.

There will be a $30.00 service charge per each returned check.


Thank you for providing feedback to the Treasury and Financial Management Department. For real estate or personal property tax questions, choose Treasury below. For all finance, benefits, payroll, accounts payable, and risk managmentment questions, choose Finance below. For all Motor Vehicles specific questions, such as titling, renewals, and registration, choose Motor Vehicles. Please note that all fields are required.